Chickpea curry with coconut milk is one of my favorite, very easy to cook and full of flavors. This is a south Indian recipe and 100% vegetarian. Can be cook less than 20 minutes. Also this chickpea curry is very affordable too. You can make this with very few ingredients that you can find in your kitchen.
How long does it take to cook chickpeas?
If you want to cook dried chickpeas, it’s take about 45 minutes to an hour to cook. For this curry, I highly recommend you to purchase canned chickpeas. It will save you so much time when cooking. Canned chickpeas are already cooked, so you don’t have to worry about chickpeas been over cooked or under cooked.
Are chickpeas good for weight loss?
Chickpeas are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber and offer variety of health benefits. Chickpeas is an excellent replacement for meat if you are a vegetarian or vegan because chickpeas are very high in protein.
It also helps improving digestion, aiding weight management and reducing the risk of several diseases.
Can you freeze chickpea curry?
Yes you can freeze the chickpea curry. Make sure to use a freezer container. You can keep this chickpea curry with coconut milk for about a month.
How to Cook Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk.
Chickpea Curry with Coconut Milk
- 400 g Chickpeas canned
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil extra virgin
- 1 large Onion finely sliced
- 2 large Green Chili chopped
- 2 large Red Chili chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 tsp Garlic chopped
- 8 – 10 fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 – 3 Dry Chili
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tsp Tomato Puree
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- Salt to taste
- Put coriander seeds, cumin seeds and mustard seeds into a hand grinder and grind finely.
- Heat a large frying pan at low flame and add coconut oil and add finely sliced onion and stir about 1 minute.
- Once onion start to release the water add sea salt,chili and curry leaves and stir about another minute.
- Add garlic and ginger and stir another 2 minutes.
- Break the dry chili into two half and add it to the pan and add the freshly grounded spices (coriander,cumin and mustard) and stir about a minute.
- Add turmeric and chili powder then mix and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Now add tomato ketchup, tomato puree and chickpea and mix all together and stir about a minute.
- Finally add coconut milk and stir and mix about 1 minute.
Check out our other chickpea recipe