When I first heard about biscuit fish cutlet, I was so surprised to see them made of cream crackers biscuits. And the taste was fantastic. I am so used to round shaped regular cutlets. This biscuit fish cutlet is really unique and a new experience for me. So I thought, I have to share this recipe with my readers.
What ingredients do you need to make the Biscuit Fish Cutlet?
Cream crackers biscuit: Using a very simple plain flavor biscuit is very essential. If the biscuit is sweet or salty, it will spoil the taste of your fish cutlet. So choosing a biscuit like cream crackers is very important.
Fish: I am using canned tuna for this recipe, only because it is available to buy from any supermarket and also very easy to use. Of cause, you can use any fish that you like to be in your cutlet, like king fish, salmon, sardine, etc. Fresh fish or canned, doesn’t really matter. I preferred canned fish, for this recipe because it’s ready to use, with fresh fish you have to deal with the bones and cook the fish before make the cutlets. Nothing wrong with that, if you can use fresh fish is much better.
Potato: For this recipe i am using medium size 4-5 potatoes. It really doesn’t matter what type of potatoes you using for this recipe.
Onion: Use a large onion, I used Bombay onion, it widely available in any major super market or you can buy from any Asian grocery shops. This Bombay onion has a strong onion flavor and a bit of spiciness, which gives your paste a boost on flavor. If you can’t find Bombay onion, use red onion.
Garlic & Ginger : Garlic and ginger are most important ingredients for this recipe, so try to use fresh garlic and ginger, you will definitely enjoy the taste of your biscuit fish cutlet.
Curry Leaves: As this recipe is mostly used in south Asia, curry leaves is must ingredient for this fish cutlet. If you can’t find fresh curry leaves, use dry curry leaves where you can find easily at any super markets.
Green Chili: You must have green chili on this cutlet, even if you don’t like too much spice on them, you have to add at least half a chili. This green chili gives you a flavor and a pleasant smell when you eat.
Lemon Juice: Use fresh lemon juice, if you can’t find lemon you can use lime instead.
Cumin & Mustard Seeds: Using the right amount of spices are the key to this recipe. The flavor and the combination of this two spices are fantastic.
Eggs: The egg is the binder to hold everything together.
Bread Crumbs: I don’t make bread crumbs myself. It is more convenient and easy to buy from the shop.
Salt & Pepper: Use as you like to your taste.
How to Make Biscuit Fish Cutlet Step by Step
Peel the potatoes and cut them in to 4 pieces. Bring the water into boil and add little salt, then cook the potatoes for about 5 minutes.
While potatoes are cooking, you can arrange other ingredients, by chopping the onion, green chili, ginger, garlic and curry leaves very finely. Be careful when choosing the green chili, some chili’s are more spicier than others.
Check the potatoes is cooked, you can pierce it with a fork, if cooked, it’ll easily go through. Take it off the boiling water and transfer it to a bowl or another container and mash them. Make sure to add salt and pepper to your taste while mashing. Heat up a pan and add olive oil.When oil is at medium heat add and saute chopped onion,ginger,garlic,green chili,curry leaves, cumin and mustard for about 2 minutes.
Mix the canned fish (Tuna) with mashed potatoes. Then add it to the pan with other spices and stir and mix about 1 minute and take it out and set aside.
Apply the paste on the biscuits (cream crackers) and close it with another biscuit like a sandwich. Beat 3 large eggs on a bowl. Dip the biscuit (sandwich) in the beaten eggs and apply bread crumbs all over it.
Heat up a pan and add vegetable oil. Deep fry the biscuit about 10 second each side and take it out.
When to make Biscuit Fish Cutlet?
If you are making this fish cutlet for a special occasion, It is ideal for you to make this is as the last dish. Just before the party started. This way it will be fresh and crunchy and hot (warm) as we all like. I know it is not possible most of the time when you have other main important dishes to prepare. At least do the eggs, bread crumbs and deep fry at the last minute.
How to make Biscuit Fish Cutlet.
Biscuit Fish Cutlet
- 20 Cream Crackers Biscuits
- 500 g Fish canned
- 4 – 5 medium Potatoes
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 7 – 8 cloves Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 1 pinch Curry Leaves chopped
- 1 – 2 medium Green Chili chopped
- ½ juice Lemon or lime
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- 3 large Eggs
- 100 g Bread Crumb
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in to 4 pieces. Bring the water into boil and add little salt, then cook the potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- While potatoes are cooking, chop the onion, green chili, garlic, ginger and curry leaves very finely.
- Check the potatoes is cooked, you can pierce it with a fork, if cooked, it'll easily go through. Take it off the boiling water and transfer it to a bowl or another container and mash them. Make sure to add salt and pepper to your taste while mashing.
- Heat up a pan and add olive oil. Saute chopped onion,ginger,garlic,green chili,curry leaves, cumin and mustard for about 2 minutes.
- Mix the canned fish (tuna) with mashed potatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. Then mix with the spices on the pan for about 1 minute.
- Apply the paste on the biscuits (cream cracked) and close it with another biscuit like a sandwich.
- Beat 3 large eggs on a bowl. Dip the biscuit (sandwich) in the beaten eggs and apply bread crumbs all over it.
- Heat up a pan and add vegetable oil. Deep fry the biscuit about 10 second each side and take it out.
- Wait a little while its to cool down and enjoy while its hot (worm).
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how it turned out! by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram [ be sure to tag me @niyoskitchen & hashtag it #niyoskitchen ]
I am so excited to hearing from you.
Have a look at our other Appraisers here…