This Spanish garlic soup is one of my favorite food that I make myself very often. Although some people call this garlic soup, Some call this garlic bread soup. This is a very easy soup to make in less than 30 minutes. Very healthy and delicious flavor.
Most of the time this soup is made during the winter. and also this soup could help you put up with a common cold, and it’s also loaded with garlic’s anti-inflammatory components like manganese, selenium, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) and vitamin C. I read this on a blog when I research about the Spanish garlic soup, and much more benefits that I never knew before about garlic. So this hooked me in to this soup. Then this took me in to my next question;
How much garlic do you put in soup?
If you are making 2-3 serve, the recommended quantity is about one head (10-12 clove). But this is not a rule, you can add more or less, it’s all depend on your taste. Adding too much or too less garlic can spoil the originality of the soup. I advise you to go ahead and make your first garlic soup for 2-3 serve with one head (10-12 clove) of garlic. And see how you like the soup as it is or do you want to add more garlic or less garlic. Remember, cooking is all about experience.
How do you make garlic soup from scratch?
This step by step guide is for 2 serve of Spanish garlic soup recipe.
1. Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Choosing a bread is entirely up to you. Place them on a baking tray. Traditionally in Spain they use olive oil to drizzle on top of the bread, I prefer butter, because I am using olive oil when cooking the rest, so it will be too much olive oil for me.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (176 °C) and toast the bread for about 15-20 minutes until bread is very browned and almost burnt. Once done take it out from the oven and set aside to cool down.
3. Add 2 tablespoon of olive oil to a pot and heat up over medium flame. Put one head (10-12 clove) of finely sliced garlic to the pot and saute until golden brown.
4. Spanish smoked paprika is one of the main ingredient for this soup. But if you can’t find them where you are, use the normal paprika. Cut 4 slice of ham in to bit size pieces. If you don’t eat ham, you can leave this option. I am using white pepper for this soup, again if you can’t find white pepper, you can use black pepper. Add salt to taste and finally add the roasted bread and stir well.
5. After stirring well add chicken stock, lemon juice and fresh basil and mix them well and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Finally add 2 eggs and wait till poached. Some likes to brake the eggs and mix with the soup. I found that bit spoiling the traditional taste of the garlic soup. So I preferred poached egg.
7. Once the egg is poached your delicious Spanish Garlic Soup is Ready to Serve. Make sure you enjoy this soup piping hot.
Spanish Garlic Soup Recipe
Spanish Garlic Soup
- 8 -10 clove Garlic (1 Head) finely chopped
- 4 slice Bread cut into ½ inch cubes
- 4 slice Ham cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- 5 – 6 leaves Fresh Basil chopped
- ½ tsp Spanish Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 large Eggs
- 2 tbsp Butter
- Salt to taste
- Cut the bread into 1/2 inch cubes. Place them on a baking tray evenly and spread melted butter or Olive oil on the top of the bread.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and toast the bread for about 15-20 minutes until bread is very browned and almost burnt.
- Take the bread out from the oven and let it cool down.
- Heat a large pot over medium flame and add olive oil.
- Add garlic to the pot and saute until golden brown.
- Add paprika, ham, white pepper, salt and roasted bread. Stir all together about a minute.
- After stirring add chicken stock, lemon juice, fresh basil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Finally add the eggs and wait till poached.
- Delicious Spanish Garlic Soup is Ready to Serve.
Spanish Garlic Recipe Video
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Please let me know how it turned out! by leaving a review below. Or snap a photo and share it on Instagram [ be sure to tag me @niyoskitchen & hashtag it #niyoskitchen ]
I am so excited to hearing from you.